Maximize Living Space without Hallways: Inexpensive Floor Plans Part 2
Previous: Maximize Home Space Cheapest Cubic Space: Inexpensive Floor Plans Part 1
Hallways: The Living Space Thief
Hallways rank among the worst design features:
- Create narrow, claustrophobic feel.
- Create traffic blockages with open closet doors, etc.
- Can (transversely) impair flows of light, heat, ventilation, view, etc.
- Can rob you of at least a closet and possibly a small room when compared to an alternate allocation of the total floor's square footage.
- Make whole house "feel" smaller.
- Allows the common rooms to do double-duty as a hallway function.
- Allows larger living areas (living rooms, bedrooms) with the same floor square-footage and wall perimeter.
- Makes the whole house "feel" larger.