Inexpensive Home Building

Cut through the jargon and nonsense of home building and house construction by starting from zero dollars and trying to figure best-value bang-for-your-buck when choosing construction methods or construction materials. My research might answer some of your questions and at other times perhaps you have the knowledge or experience to post the answers to my questions and thereby help others too. The goal is an affordable and sustainable home for all.


Sunday, October 15, 2006

Wood Stove Heating Systems

Fireplaces, wood stoves, wood pellet stoves, and coal stoves have a certain charm and can be viable heating methods. They require more attention to stoke and clean and keep the water kettle full to re-humidify the air. If not part of an elaborate duct system, they work best when centrally located in a home that is basically a single, open area. These methods work, not by the flames briefly heating the air that quickly escapes up the chimney, but by heating a large mass of iron, stone, or brick that slowly re-radiates the heat (that's why you surround your campfire with rocks), so put your chimney in the center of the home--unless you like an exterior chimney to heat The Great Outdoors.

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000666.php

Jotul 602 Wood Stove:

Of course, a super-insulated, earthsheltered home might require little or no active heating but you might want a backup or simply ambiance.

Newer post: Heating Homes with Wood Stoves

4 Comments:

At 6:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want to heat your house, keep all the mess and chimeny outside, and don't mind stoking a couple time a day. Check out lil-house heaters. We have used one for three winters and now burn 150 gallons of propane a YEAR! Total cost to install was $1,600

 
At 3:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Marvelous Product!
I Buy Wood Stoves

 
At 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought one of these from ChimneyHeaters.com . I installed and it works fine. Heats my 2000
square foot house. I have the pump connected to a UPS but I am not sure how long the pump will run if the electric goes out. I had it installed all winter and did not have to turn on my Electric heat once which saved me about 200 euro a month here in Romania.The Electric is not stable here so I had to rush to take out the fire a couple of times because the water pump had stopped and the pressure valves were going off. The UPS will solve that but I don't know how long a UPS will keep my central pump going. I will attach a pic of what chimney heaters are in case you are not familiar with them. The pump is a Grundfos and has three speeds.

 
At 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

kyrie 9
bape official
air jordan
palm angels
ggdb outlet
golden goose outlet
bape hoodie
off white hoodie
goyard
hermes outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home